Newby & Scalby Library & Information Centre is a community-run organisation based on mutual respect and co-operation and a desire to serve the local community.
Our Library Assistants help members of the public who visit the library, and assist in library routines, thereby maintaining an effective service in a pleasant environment.
We also need people who are willing to clean the library and undertake maintenance and/or gardening tasks – see below.
Undertaking general library routines and procedures including:
- Meeting and greeting library customers
- Helping people to join the library
- Assisting library users with our self-service machines, ‘Bill’ and ‘Ben’
- Helping customers to find the resources they want
- Helping customers use our computers
- Assisting with library events
- Helping to maintain the book stock
- Helping with library displays
- Re-shelving books and keeping the library safe, clean and tidy
- Checking shelves for requested items/books moving to other libraries
- Helping to find books for our Home Library Service Volunteers to take to customers
- Helping to promote the library service in the community
- You need to be literate and numerate
- It helps if you are comfortable using IT
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Organisational skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Common Sense
- A courteous, calm approach to the public and enjoyment of dealing with people, especially children.
- Punctuality and reliability
- Being supportive of the library in its commitment to making resources and events accessible and welcoming
- Enjoyment of reading and finding out information
- Commitment to the equality and diversity of the local community
Training and Support:
The Library Team based at the Core Library in Scarborough offer on-going training and support for volunteers and there is also free access to online training to help you develop your skills further. There is also support on hand from your fellow volunteers and the professional Outreach Librarian and Library Supervisor who visit the library on a regular basis each week.
- Our volunteers work morning, afternoon and/or evening sessions. The library is open from 10am – 5.30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10am – 7.00 pm on Fridays and 10am – 1.30pm on Saturdays. Afternoon sessions start at 1.30pm but volunteers need to arrive 15 minutes before their duty and should expect to stay around 15 minutes after the library closes. An extra duty on Fridays is from 5pm – 7pm (arriving ready to start at 5pm!)
- Communication is by email so if you do not use email you will need to sign-up for a course and purchase a device on which to use it.
- Our volunteers are asked to provide us with the contact details for two people who are prepared to give them a reference as to their suitability for this community role. A current or former employer, teacher, trustee/manager of a voluntary organisation or someone who has known you for at least two years is required. Relations cannot be referees! We will write to the referees, with a form for them to complete.
- Those acting as library volunteers are expected to comply with North Yorkshire Library Service, and Newby & Scalby Library procedures and policies.
- There are regular meetings of volunteers and Trustees and will be social events too to help us grow as a team.
Cleaning, Maintenance & Gardening
We would very much like to hear from anyone willing to be a voluntary cleaner and join a small, but growing group of cleaners. People willing to undertake small maintenance jobs and gardening are also needed. Please telephone the library or email us and leave your details so a Trustee can contact you.
The Next Step:
If you would like to become a library volunteer or would like to speak to a Trustee about volunteering please leave your contact details with one of the library volunteers or complete this form and post it to the library, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or just give it to one of the volunteers in the library in an envelope addressed to the trustees. We look forward to hearing from you!
We welcome Student Volunteers too – please download our Student Volunteer Job Description here: